Our Approach to Writing
At The Witness, we approach a variety of topics from a distinctly black Christian perspective. We are looking for writing that is race and justice conscious as well as biblically faithful. We also want to push ourselves to publish slightly edgy pieces. While difficult to define, if it makes you a bit nervous to publish, then you’re probably on the right track.
Finally, we want you to be free. You are at liberty on our site to say the things you think need to be said. We may not all agree with one another, but that is a sign of healthy dialogue. We simply want this to be a place to where Christians, especially those of African descent, can express themselves without always explaining their viewpoints to a dominant culture group.
We do not have all of this sorted out quite yet; there is no blueprint for what we are doing. We will figure it out as we go. You are a huge part of what God is doing in this space. We’re excited to embark on this journey together.
How to Submit
Thank you again for your interest in writing for The Witness. Email all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use The Witness Submission Template. In the subject line please provide the following:
Below you’ll find a list of general topics we like to feature. Pick any of the topics below or feel free to make suggestions as well.
- Current Events
- The Black Church
- Music, Books, Film, Theater
- The Bible
- Race & Ethnicity
- Marriage and Family
- Interracial Relationships/Parenting
- Sex and Sexuality
- Multi-ethnic Churches
Guidelines for Blog Posts:
- Length: 500-1200
- Topic: Any approved topic written from a Christian perspective.
- Byline: Include a brief bio and go to www.gravatar.com to register. Provide us with the email you used to sign up for the Gravatar account.
- Summary: A short, 1-2 sentence, description for the piece.
- Subheadings: please indicate your subheadings by making them bold
- Links: please indicate the URL after the text, where you would like the text link to be (we’ll hyperlink it). In guest posts, we do not include affiliate links.
- Images: We will be responsible for images.
- Editing: All posts appearing on The Witness are edited and checked. We correct grammar, check spelling, and the flow of the content. We will notify you of any major changes.
- Format: Please submit all articles in a word document format (.doc, .docx).
- Question: All blogs are required to supply a question to encourage your readers to actively engage your content.
- Twitter Handle: As a platform for writers, The Witness is dedicated to promoting your edifying content while also making it extremely easy for readers to find you on the web.
For New Writers
Please keep in mind that not all articles submitted will be published, however all submissions will be strongly considered and thoroughly reviewed. If you’re new to blogging or need some ideas to help you get started, try the resources below.